Monday, May 22, 2006

the wonder of the internet

The internet is so big.
Besides being true and sounding like a 1st grade sentence, this has some interesting implications too. In the same way a language vocabulary is big ... but mostly irrelevant, as people use only a tiny fraction for daily verbal communication ... in the same way, the Internet is used by people in a very limited way. So here's how I use the internet. Next thing ... ask yourself how do you use it. You can even spam my blog with comments about your usage.

1. I use it for email
My primary email used to be Yahoo, but then I switched to gmail. It's leaner, it's more usable, more searcheable, it checks itself. I still use yahoo but not so much - it's also blocked at work.

2. I use it to read news
My two news feeds are
http://news.bbc.co.uk
http://www.hotnews.ro
One being news about my current living place and adoptive country, the other news about my real country.

3. I use it to keep in touch with some people, social networks, groups, forums.
Social networks I use www.orkut.com and that's it.
I use groups.yahoo.com for groups to keep in touch with old friends, colleagues and other people I know.

4. I use it for instant messaging although I only talk to very very few people
I use yahoo messenger - main one.
And I use msn - secondarily.

5. In the category reference I use mainly
www.dictionary.com
www.wikipedia.org - fantastic and one of my favourites!

6. I use it to keep this lousy blog on blogspot

7. I use it to search for info
www.google.com - no other search engine
I also use groups.google.com to search for solutions to technical problems I have at work because if you have a problem, it's likely someone else fixed it before you somehow.
www.multimap.com - to find my way around London

And that's it.
What else would you recommend?

5 Comments:

At Monday, May 22, 2006 10:56:00 pm, Blogger Chris said...

Cineworld online to check films. I can't remember the name of the site to check cheap flights. And you should check this one for restaurants, http://www.londontown.com/restaurants/, unless the dirty job of choosing where to eat if going to be mine! :-P

 
At Tuesday, May 23, 2006 8:31:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

answers.com - it gets you a dictionary, translator, wikipedia and a couple of other sources on the same page.

bloglines.com - reading newsfeeds all in the same place.

uefa.com - well, for programming tips and tricks ;)

 
At Wednesday, May 24, 2006 2:51:00 pm, Blogger Carmen said...

I'll add onlinesport.ro , a nice little site - a kind of eurosport.com (Ro version) and few women sites (health, fashion, the daily gossip)...but you wouldn't be interested in those...:)

+

lonelyplanet.com

 
At Wednesday, May 24, 2006 5:28:00 pm, Blogger georrge said...

hmmm, in the first place i'd add classifieds sites or online shops (amazon, ebay, ...), when you're looking for a car, a new home, a bike or i don't know what, these are the perfect places for looking. also related to these, reviews sites are also very good to figure out what's best to buy. but the best very start it's google - it'll guide you very well in the entire internet, ofcourse if you don't have the whole internet saved on your HDD and you'll use only windows commander :)

 
At Saturday, June 17, 2006 9:40:00 am, Blogger Marco said...

I couldn't live without eBay and amazon anymore!
My favourite thing to do is to compare eBay|amazon.co.uk/.com/de trying to find the best deal!
That way I found out that IKEA has usually the same prices in Germany and in the UK, the difference being that 1,-GBP is usually 1.40EUR, meaning we're paying 40% more at IKEA on this frigging expensive island!
I also like http://del.icio.us/ which is kind of an online link classification website. Since I'm using different computers all the time, I get annoyed whenever I start thinking "What was that link again...".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home