Thursday, September 29, 2005

life is great...

...he said, coughing incessantly. No, really, it is! There are so many places to visit, so many sounds to absorb, million aromas to tickle your nostrils, countless imageries to flash before your eyes. Stockholm is coming up this weekend; the flight tickets for Thailand arrived yesterday while we managed to draft the plans for the 3 weeks I'm going to spend there; the tickets for the Dream Theater concert are lying on my desk at home; I managed to find people interested in going to Cirque du Soleil, next year in January, but you have to book these things in advance; I might go to see Jamie Cullum; the ice skating event in Streatham and then Barcelona and Lake District. So many things that you won't do once you get older. Now is the time, cease the day, go explore, go play! And if you need a more technical and first hand emotional argument of why you shouldn't worry too much about the future and live now, go read Marco's blog. He has a posting about that. If you still need convincing!

Coming back to the present and to the immediate yore, I must tell you about the film I saw yesterday. Don't laugh, hear me out. It was called "Pride and Prejudice" and it's based on a novel with the same name of Jane Austen. Before going to see it, I was shuddering at the prospect. I was hoping for a muse to gently help me fall asleep and soothe the whole experience. But no muse deigned set her eyes on me and in the end, there was no need for it anyway.

The film was surprisingly good, clearly an adaptation of the novel not an exact transposition of it into images. And you realised that very soon as the whole audience would burst into laughter. Something unexpected for a victorian atmosphere on the hills of old England. But it was funny, sprinkled with british humour - at some point I was thinking they've overdone it and it was a comedy, all of the sudden.

But it was all moderated by some overly emphatic shakesperian dialogues, which I must admit I didn't like. It should still be a reflection of a bygone era, although it was difficult to imagine normal people talking like that. It was reserved for poets and magicians! But don't get the wrong impression, it was just a dialogue or two, I am exaggerating as it sounded like the grinding of the teeth to my ears.

Another impressive aspect was the photography, it just settled the score for me. The photography of the film was very good I thought, with some lyrical moments where the photography director unleashed all her repressed creativity. I am very passionate about photography and I think I know a thing or two about it, so I'm confident about my appreciations (sheesh, he's such a modest boy!).

The actors were a bit disappointing, with one exception: Donald Sutherland. He was just brilliant and I wouldn't be too surprised if he was nominated for an Oscar for the best supporting role. He was the gray haired father.

All in all, it was a great film, pigmented with good humour, emotional expression that doesn't descend into sloppiness, all wrapped up in great photography. Highly recommended!

6 Comments:

At Thursday, September 29, 2005 5:56:00 pm, Blogger Carmen said...

I nearly thought you where starting to feel better. I wonder which 50th version of the movie is it. Looks like they've got right. I'd love see an adaption of it 50 years from now...how far can they go with it?
Looks like you're running on overdrive...concerts, trips, shows...what's next? Running the London marathon?:) Keep it up! You're doing good!

 
At Thursday, September 29, 2005 6:02:00 pm, Blogger C.i.p.r.i.a.n said...

Carmen, I am feeling better, don't worry ... slowly but surely I'm getting there. No antibiotics, you see :-)

It's a 2005 production: http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1808657001

Yeap, I was thinking of running the London marathon, but it's quite difficult to get a place on it. I'll see.

 
At Friday, September 30, 2005 4:53:00 pm, Blogger Carmen said...

See, this is the point where I don't know "R U Kiddin or not?" :)

 
At Friday, September 30, 2005 4:58:00 pm, Blogger C.i.p.r.i.a.n said...

Kidding about the marathon? Nope, I was seriously thinking about it ... ask Marco if you don't think. He ran a marathon and he gave me some info about how to prepare for one.
But I might not do it in the end, I'm a bit scared about being sucked dry by such an undertaking.
Thank God I don't feel like I have to prove something :-)

 
At Saturday, October 22, 2005 2:26:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know there are not many blogs where food with health claim gets a mention.

Is this the exception? food with health claim ????

 
At Sunday, October 23, 2005 4:55:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a information on william shakespeare site. It pretty much covers information on william shakespeare related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home